Based in Melbourne, Australia
PC / Steam
Moonman is an adventure game starring a smiling green moonman. It is set on a nocturnal planet orbited by many moons. Every new game generates a unique world containing towns, forests, tombs, islands, and alien landscapes. The goal of the game is to find seven moon fragments that have fallen from the sky. These fragments are to power a giant star-machine that will bring light back into the world. Moonman can be thought of as a viridescent blend of games like Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, and Terraria. In the game, the main character, Moonman, must search for fragments of moons that are scattered around the world. The fragments may have been hidden in caves or tombs, ingested by large creatures, or hoarded by agoraphobic hermits.
Moonman began life back in 2011 as a green ASCII smiley face. Over the last 3 years his world has evolved significantly but Moonman has kept his trademark green smiley face. You can read all about the gamedev journey in the 140+ pages of the development log -- which includes mock-ups, screenshots, technical info, and game design banter.
- A quest that will take you through alien landscapes and towns;
- peculiar inhabitants to talk to;
- resources to collect, harvest, mine and trade;
- a fully destructible world;
- a plethora of items to wield, wear, throw, fire, and craft;
- monstrous and odd creatures to hit with things; and
- ancient puzzle-machines to unlock.
Alpha Footage (Dungeon) YouTube
Alpha Footage (Mining and Merchants) YouTube
Alpha Footage (Spiders and Flames) YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Moonman. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
- "Moonman looks wonderfully odd, with its assortment of strange armors, bizarre monsters, and alien landscapes."
- James Cunningham, HardCoreGamer
- "Moonman Puts A Happy Face On A Terrariabut."
- Graham Smith, RockPaperShotgun
- "Moonman looks like the appetizer to a Starbound entrée."
- Darren, Destructoid
- "Moonman is a curious mash up of styles with elements of Minecraft, Tererria, Binding of Issac, Spelunky and George Orwell's Animal Farm."
- Alistair, Indie Retro News
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Moonman Kickstarter Campaign
I'm crowdfunding so I can finish Moonman! The KS page is the most up-to-date resource for Moonman information and content. It is running until Feb 13. kck.st.
Moonman Development Log
An extensive forum thread detailing the last 3 years of development is available at forums.tigsource.com.
About Benjamin Porter
I have been coding and gaming since I was a tiny human child. I love science, art and computers and have a PhD in a mix of that stuff. My current project is a procedurally-generated 2D platformer called Moonman.
More information on Benjamin Porter, our logo & relevant media are available here.